Today your child will be coming home with a Reading Counts book ( similar to WEB reading last year). Each child has selected a good fit book within their independent reading level to take home and read and they are SO EXCITED!!! Reading Counts is a reading incentive program that promotes reading habits and also rewards children for their efforts. Please see the following link for more informationREADING COUNTS. Here is how we use Reading Counts at Georgetown.
1. Students independent reading levels are determined through teacher assessments.
2. Each child is given a goal number of points to achieve during the trimester based on their reading level. Each book has an assigned point value which can be found on the inside cover of the book.
3. Students select a book at their reading level and read it at home and/or at school. Books are labeled with reading levels A – Z on the spine of the book.
4. When children are finished with the book they sign up to take a RC comprehension quiz on the computer for that particular book here at school.
5. If the quiz is passed ( 8/10 questions answered correctly), then another book is checked out. If the quiz is not passed, students take the book home again and reread.
6. At the end of the trimester, any student who has met their goal receives a prize and a ticket into our end of the year BIG prize drawing. Last year it was a NOOK and Target gift cards….YEAH!
Please see your child’s book bag today for more specific information. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.